Final Fantasy Retrospective - Special Edition

I am going to switch it up a bit. Instead of posting a long 5 part series on all the Final Fantasy games, I am going to sum up each game in about a sentence or two. Unlike my Dragon Quest retro, I have finished just about every Final Fantasy game so I have a bit of history with the franchise.

Final Fantasy I (Origins) - Started the whole phenomenon. I think it is worth playing the updated editions.

Final Fantasy II (Origins) - Often called the "black sheep" of the series, this game is difficult to play but I actually enjoyed this more than the original. Has a story with characters that like to sacrifice themselves. *This plays a lot like the SaGa series because the Director of this game went on to create the SaGa series*

Final Fantasy III (DS) - The one game in the series I did not complete, I also have no desire to complete this game. I just did not like the DS version at all. It doesn't have the same charm as the first two in my opinion.

Final Fantasy IV (too many versions) - This is a great Final Fantasy. Story is a bit outdated and simple but it is still a fun ride with great music and challenge (especially the DS version). However, they need to stop remaking this game. There has to be over 6 versions of this game.

Final Fantasy V (not enough versions) - Hands down my favorite Final Fantasy game (same with Dragon Quest, maybe I like the number 5?) Light hearted adventuring, charming, awesome music, challenging, and best job system ever.

Final Fantasy VI (Anthology) - I had a bad habit of comparing this Chrono Trigger. To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of this game. It took itself way to serious at times and had too many characters. However, over time I beat this game more than 5 times and started to appreciate it more and Kefka is the best villain in the entire series.

Final Fantasy VII (Playstation) - First Final Fantasy game I played. I was blown away at the time and it hit all the right spots. Cool story and characters, but it doesn't quite hold up to me anymore. * Dear Square Enix, I know you are on hard times, so to get you back into the green, I have an idea... stick with me... REMAKE FINAL FANTASY VII. Yes it will cost a pretty penny but I am sure you would make it back and then some. We all know the real reason it hasn't been remade - you are scared.*

Final Fantasy VIII - If Final Fantasy were to be as real as possible it would be this game. Enemies don't drop money, characters don't go in and out your main characters body, Technically there is no MP and human beings really aren't that strong unless they have a Guardian Force equipped. Oh yeah, I didn't like this game that much, boring story, characters are all one dimensional (Squall is even more blah than Cloud). Still it has awesome music and it was really beautiful.

Final Fantasy IX - I don't know how to judge this game. I hated the character designs (except Vivi of course), Story was fun and entertaining, battles weren't really interesting to me. I liked it a lot more than Final Fantasy VIII. Also, what the hell is with the last boss. Unless I missed something, he has nothing to do with anything, did I miss something?

Final Fantasy X - Definitely one of the best Final Fantasy games. Interesting story, characters, great graphics, interesting battle system. A little on the easy side though. I think this is where the music shifted in a new direction for the most part from Nobuo Uematsu, but the music is still great.

Final Fantasy X-2 - Pretty weird game. Story I thought was downright terrible, the music was awful, and had interesting character designs to say the least (like Rikku barely wears anything). However battles were fun, active, and challenging.The game also offered freedom from the jump. I also liked Paine even though she was very one dimensional.

Final Fantasy XI - I raised a cat girl to level 6 and that was the end of my trip to Vana'diel.

Final Fantasy XII - This game is absolutely amazing. I have to give it to Square Enix on this one because they just changed what a Final Fantasy game was. No more random battles, very down to earth believable story, some of the best graphics on the PS2. Very well balanced and I couldn't stop exploring the world in this game. The only problem with the game is Vaan the main character. Basch was intended to be the main character and it makes sense. Vaan for the most part has no purpose in this game, he is just kind of there. I think Ashe is probably the coolest female Final Fantasy character.

Final Fantasy XIII - Probably considered the most controversial game in the series. Took forever to come out, and it wasn't quite what anyone thought it would be. Great visuals, ok music (best boss theme though)The first trailer made the battles looks insane and the real game didn't quite turn out the same way and the game is way too easy as it almost plays itself.The game also takes linear to new heights. I enjoyed this game though and reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy VII. I mean.. first scene in both games is an ex-soldier of some sort wielding a sword , riding a train with an older black companion who uses guns , and they are doing some sort of rebellion.


Now Square, where is Final Fantasy 5 remake of some sort PLEASE!

Comments